1. Any problems you may have will be handled by your Instructor. This includes:
a) Stipend Pay
b) Absenteeism & Tardiness
c) Unemployment Benefits
2. Anyone coming to class after 8:00 a.m. or missing time must fill out an absentee report. If you ride to class with another trainee and are late, absent, or need to leave early because of your transportation situation, the loss of time will be marked against both of you. Any time missed, whether it is a quarter hour or eight hours, is considered an absence. If a student misses up to 17% or more of a class they will not be presented a completion certificate. If a student fails to complete a class for any reason, they will not receive stipend pay. A student will be terminated from the program if they are repeatedly absent or tardy. In all cases of absenteeism, the Instructor is to keep the Director or Assistant Director informed and discuss the situation with the Director or Assistant Director prior to student dismissal. Exceptions to these rules will only be made with the Directors or Assistant Directors approval, and if an excused absence is granted, it will be at the discretion of the Director or Assistant Director. The following conditions may warrant an excused absence:
a) Day of winter storm, depending on the severity of the storm.
b) Day after storm, if secondary roads have not been cleared, or if severe drifting continues.
3. Please try to take care of all personal business before coming to the training site. Telephone calls may be made to the Unemployment Office (for those currently receiving Unemployment Benefits) or to your Union Local ONLY! There is a phone in the Office Waiting Room for this purpose.
4. If a student continuously shows a lack of interest in learning class material or cannot abide by the training site rules, they will be terminated.
5. The Cafeteria area must be cleaned after each meal. Snacks ONLY (not meals), or drinks with lids are allowed in the classroom.
6. Students will be given two-15 minute breaks. Lunch will be one-half hour.
7. Smoking is not allowed in the classroom. Your Instructor will tell you where the designated smoking areas are located.
8. All tools will be picked up at 4:00 p.m., or after each session, and returned to the tool room. From 4:00 to 4:30 p.m., students will be responsible for light cleaning of areas used by the class. Students will be dismissed by their instructor.
9. The MLTAF subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will maintain and conduct all practices relating to discipline, race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, marital status, or other legally protected status. If you feel you have been treated unfairly on any of the foregoing bases, or you observe someone else being so treated, you must report this to the Site Manager, Director, or Assistant Director. Anyone with questions or concerns about any type of discrimination or harassment in the workplace must bring these issues to the attention of the Director (or Assistant Director in the event of alleged discrimination by the Director). Anyone determined to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination or harassment will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including discharge of employment or dismissal from the Training Site.
10. An employee or student shall treat others with respect. Harassment based on religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation or other legally protected status is prohibited. Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to, any verbal or physical conduct motivated by an individual’s religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation or other legally protected status which substantially interferes with an employee’s or student’s work or educational opportunities.
11. Sexual harassment of an employee or student by an employee or student is prohibited. Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to, any unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, or any other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature which:
a) Substantially interferes with an employee’s or student’s work or educational performance or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work or educational environment;
b) Submission to or rejection of the conduct is used as a basis for an employment or educational decision affecting the harassed student or employee;
c) Submission to, or rejection of, the conduct is made either an explicit or an implicit condition of employment or training.
Other harassing conduct in the workplace is also prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: language or jokes of a racial, ethnic, sexual, or other offensive nature; verbal abuse of a sexual, ethnic, racial, or other offensive nature, and the display in the workplace of sexually suggestive, ethnic, or racially targeted objects, pictures, or other materials.
12. Students are expected, and required, to report for class on time and in an appropriate mental and physical condition to work and perform in class. It is our intent and obligation to provide a drug-free, alcohol-free, healthful, safe and secure work environment. The only exception to the alcohol-free policy shall be for MLTAF-sponsored functions as approved by the Board of Trustees, Director or Assistant Director.
13. Students are expected, and required, to report for class in an appropriate manner of dress for a classroom and/or work site environment.
14. Trainees will treat each other as they would like to be treated. Before you come to a conclusion about a matter, get the facts.
15. If you have a negative opinion about a fellow student or MLTAF employee, keep it to yourself during class/company time.
16. Conduct and Work Rules: Prohibited conduct for each trainee includes, but is not limited to, the following:
a. Falsification of records.
b. Using illicit drugs or being under the influence of illicit drugs or alcohol, while on MLTAF property, or during class hours.
c. Fighting or threatening violence on MLTAF property or elsewhere during class hours.
d. Being discourteous to fellow students, employees or guests, or failing to maintain good relations or otherwise failing to act in a business-like manner at all times.
e. Arriving late, or leaving early without permission.
17. Stipend: Stipend will only be paid upon successful completion of class by means of a passing grade or certificate. At the discretion of the Director/Assistant Director, extenuating circumstances may warrant the issue of a stipend check. Stipend will be paid to Laborers' union members and non-members, except those non-members affiliated with another union trade or contractor company representative.
If any student travels longer than 2 hours to class, the Michigan Laborers’ Training & Apprenticeship Institute (MLTAI) would assist them with staying at a local hotel, their stipend could go toward the bill and MLTAI would take care of the difference. Students will be required to sign a statement of agreement. Students must notify their instructors of accommodations needs. Only approved stays will be paid by MLTAI. No Sunday night or Friday night stays will be approved.
EXAMPLE: Monday-Thursday night stay in hotel, student would receive one day
Stipend for Friday. The previous four days stipend would go toward the cost of the room for the four nights. This example is for a five day class.